Super Helpful Health and Diet Tips
It’s really hard to love yourself while living in a world that constantly tells you not to do it. I became obsessed with losing pounds because every single day, I was comparing myself to all those “slim” girls either on Instagram or on the TV. So I started to believe that I was fat.
Every day, I was looking for new diets, workouts, anything that would make me lose pounds fast. The scale became my new best friend, although I wanted to break it because it was stuck in 133 pounds. You see, my goal was to be slimmer, to lose weight, something that made me feel negative about my body, and of course, I didn’t see any results. So, I just changed my goal! I decided to get stronger, become healthier and take care of myself. That’s when I slowly started to see the difference. It was all about my way of thinking, my point of view.
Of course, I stopped all the strict diets and the random internet workouts, and I followed some “tips” that I really saw something good in them. This is what I will share with you today, and I want you to follow them only if you feel like doing it. You don’t have to make yourself do something just because you read it on the internet. Do what you feel that will help your body become healthy and strong!
1. Lemon Water. The first thing I do every morning when I wake up is to boil some water (don’t boil it too much though) pour it in a glass, and squeeze some lemon in it. Lemon is a source of vitamin C, has antibacterial properties and it’s a really good detox! The best way to start your day!
2. Drink Coffee! Yes! Coffee! One of the best and natural fat-burners! It increases the pulses of the heart which helps the metabolism to speed up and it’s also rich in antioxidants. But don’t overdo it! 1-2 coffees per day are enough. And of course, the most effective one, is the black one (no sugar, whipped cream, syrup, milk etc).
3. You’re thirsty, not hungry. Sometimes, your body confuses the feeling of thirst with the feeling of hunger. When you don’t drink enough water, your body starts to ask for food to meet its needs. So next time, drink a glass of water! Because you’re not really hungry, you’re just thirsty!
4. Keep a Food Journal. Grab a notebook, a pen, and we’re ready to go! Writing down what you eat every day will help you realize what you actually feed your body. Also, you will be able to keep track of calories, nutrients and it can even help you organize your meals better!
5. Apple Cider Vinegar. One of the most powerful and strong fat burners in the world! No kidding! Plus it helps the metabolism and detoxifies! When I first tried it, the smell of vinegar bothered me, so I googled it and I found a very easy and delicious “cocktail” recipe. 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of grapefruit, orange or pineapple juice, before each meal. Trust me, it burns fat cells like crazy!
6. Drink more water! Come on! Your body is about 60% water! And don’t forget what it does to your skin and your kidneys. That magic refreshing liquid with zero sugar will also help you feel full, and consume fewer calories!
7. Going temporarily Vegan. Ahh, Beyonce’s golden tip. I tried it for about 20 days (that’s what I could stand!), but that was the best detox I did so far. I felt so clean! So fresh! So light! I can not explain it with words, you will understand it only if you try it. Of course, you need to be careful if you have low blood count, although it didn’t stop me from doing it.
8. Don’t starve yourself. I’ve heard so many times “Uhh, I won’t eat at all so I can lose pounds faster.” WRONG. The point is that when you start to starve yourself, your metabolism is lowering and begins to protect the body fat because it thinks that you’re in a survival state. Food gives you the nutrients and energy your body needs to function. So instead of starving, try to make 5 small meals every day, or more if you can, to “fuel” up your body and wake your metabolism up! (I’m trying to do 7-8 meals per day, so imagine that I eat every 2 hours!)
9. Coffee Scrub. That’s my favorite. Before I get into the shower, I put some sugar in a bowl, some oil (I use raw olive oil, but you can use either almond or coconut oil. Even baby oil somehow works!), coffee, and stir it until it’s thick. After that, get your bowl, jump into the shower and start with circular movements to massage your body with the scrub. You can give some more attention to the areas with cellulite since the coffee scrub is totally perfect for that. Rinse, put some soap on, rinse again and you’re ready! The results? Better blood circulation, much more beautiful, smoother and glowy skin!
10. Just Dance! Go on Youtube, and put some Shakira on! It doesn’t actually have to be Shakira, just put anything that will make you shake your body like crazy! Not only it will make you feel awesome and more confident, but also you burn so many calories! The truth is when I first tried to do it, it felt so awkward and silly. But then I said to myself “Does anyone see me? No! I’m alone! I can finally pretend to be Shakira!”
11. Take a walk in nature… So simple, so refreshing and yet we never do it. We find excuses all the time, and we keep postponing it for some other day. No. I dare you! Do it today! If you really can’t do it (really!), then do it tomorrow. No more postponing. Walk! Either by the sea or in the park or in the countryside, just walk and enjoy the nature! Try to dedicate this to yourself, without stressful thoughts or negativity. Put a pause in the everyday life, and just walk! Feel the fresh air in your lungs, enjoy the sun, let the air play with your hair. Pay attention to what you hear, either the waves, or the birds in the trees, enjoy the colors, and FEEL ALIVE!
These were my tips and advice, though I was saving one more for the end. Which is not really an advice, it’s more a “way of living”.
Love and accept yourself and your body exactly as it is! For sure you’ve heard that many times but think for a moment. From the moment you were born, you live in this body, and you will live in this body until your last moment. The same skin, the same eyes, the same hands and feet, the same fingers. They all had been there all these years, and they will be there for the years to come, no matter what. So, Love your body and take care of it, because this “relationship” really lasts forever!
With much love, Apostolia <3